With Gloo Portal, you can create a developer portal to manage and securely share the application programming interfaces (APIs) of your Kubernetes-based microservices with users. For example, you might publish a suite of internal-only APIs for a GitOps-based continuous integration, continuous delivery (CI/CD) process. Or, you can customize a developer portal including API documentation and monetization tracking metrics for external users automatically based on the microservices running in Gloo Mesh (Istio) or exposed by Gloo Edge (Envoy).
You start with an API document that follows a supported schema like the OpenAPI Specification (OAS). This API document reflects the microservices of your application that run in a Kubernetes environment.
Next, you use Gloo Portal to:
- Bundle individual API operations into API Products.
- Publish your API Products to a customizable Portal Web user interface (UI).
- Expose your API Products to ingress traffic with Gloo Mesh (Istio) or Gloo Edge (Envoy).
- Set Authz and Rate-Limiting policies for your exposed API Products, such as to require your users to purchase an API key that includes a certain number of requests.
Finally, Gloo Portal automates the creation of the networking and web UI resources that are needed to render an API developer portal, including for Istio (
EnvoyFilters) and Gloo Edge (
Supported API specifications
You can use Gloo Portal with microservices that use the following API models.
- OpenAPI specification v2 or v3
The Gloo Portal module is included in your basic Gloo Mesh Enterprise license. However, you must install the Gloo Portal components in your cluster separately.
Try out the Gloo Portal for Gloo Mesh Gateway or Istio guides.