Gloo Mesh Gateway, which is an abstraction of Istio's ingress gateway model, uses an Envoy proxy as the ingress gateway into and out of your multicluster service mesh environment.
Gateway use cases
Using the Gloo Mesh API to manage the gateway helps you simplify your networking setup because you can write advanced configurations one time and apply the same configuration in multiple places and different contexts. For example, you can write a rate limit policy once. Then, you can apply this policy both to traffic coming into the cluster via the gateway (north-south), as well as to traffic within the multicluster service mesh (east-west).
Gateway includes the following capabilities to help you manage and secure north-south traffic to your service mesh.
- Certificate management and rotation
- Integration with Identity & Access Management (IAM) systems to leverage existing security policies
- Authentication, authorization, and encryption enforcement, including mutual TLS (mTLS)
- Request routing, rate-limiting, load balancing, circuit breaking and failover traffic based on locality and affinity rules
- Built-in web application firewall (WAF) to protect against attacks such as distributed denial-of-service (DDOS)
- Data loss prevention (DLP) to help guard against sensitive information breaches
- Metrics for observability, troubleshooting, and auditing with Prometheus and Grafana
- Transformations filter, including for SOAP protocol
You must purchase a Gloo Mesh Gateway license. When you install Gloo Mesh, use this gateway license instead of a basic Gloo Mesh Enterprise license.
For a comparison of the features you get with the open source, basic version of an Istio ingress gateway versus the Gloo Mesh Gateway, see the following table.
|Feature||Gloo Mesh Gateway||Istio ingress|
|Proxy external traffic to mesh workloads||✅||✅|
|Basic security such as JWT, TLS, CORS||✅||✅|
|Advanced security including WAF and DLP||✅||❌|
|Advanced authentication for OIDC, API keys, and LDAP||✅||❌|
|Request and response transformation||✅||❌|
|Advanced rate limiting||✅||❌|
|Advanced traffic routing and shaping||✅||❌|
|Automatic service and API discovery||✅||❌|
|API developer portal||✅||❌|
Try out the Gloo Mesh Gateway module guide.