Gloo Mesh Enterprise is a multicluster and multimesh management plane that is based on hardened open source projects. With Gloo Mesh, you can unify the configuration, operation, and visibility of service-to-service connectivity across distributed applications that run in multiple clusters and service meshes.
What is Gloo Mesh?
Gloo Mesh Enterprise is a distribution of the Istio Service Mesh with production support, Common Vulnerabilities and Exposures (CVE) patching, special builds to meet regulatory standards such as Federal Information Processing Standards (FIPS), and a multi-cluster operational management plane to simplify running a service mesh across multiple clusters or a hybrid deployment.
Gloo Mesh Enterprise also has enterprise features around multi-tenancy, global failover and routing, observability, east-west rate limiting and policy enforcement through AuthZ/AuthN plug-ins, and north-south traffic control through the Gloo Mesh Gateway Envoy proxy extension.
The following diagram depicts how Gloo Mesh Enterprise ties together your hybrid cloud strategy for managing ingress and egress across services that run anywhere.
How can Gloo Mesh help me?
A service mesh provides powerful service-to-service communication capabilities like request routing, traffic observability, transport security, policy enforcement and more. A service mesh brings its highest value when many services (as many as possible) take advantage of its traffic control capabilities. In today's modern cloud deployments, both on-premises and in a public cloud, the expectation is that more, smaller clusters or deployment targets are preferred for the following reasons:
- Fault tolerance
- Compliance and data access
- Disaster recovery
- Scaling needs
- Geographic needs
Managing a service mesh deployment that is consistent and secure across multiple clusters is tedious and error prone at best. Gloo Mesh provides a single unified pane of glass driven by a declarative API (CRDs in Kubernetes) that orchestrates and simplifies the operation of a multi-cluster service mesh including the following concerns:
- Unifying/federating trust domains
- Achieving a single pane of glass for operational observability
- Multi-cluster routing
- Access policy
Why use Gloo Mesh Enterprise?
With Gloo Mesh Enterprise, you get an extensible, open-source based set of API tools to connect and manage your services across multiple clusters and service meshes. Your subscription includes the following benefits.
Looking for a list of features compared against what's available in open source? See the Feature comparison on the product website.
- Upstream first approach to feature development
- End-to-end Istio long-term support for
- Specialty builds available for distroless and FIPS for regulatory compliance
- Backported critical security and CVE patches
- Production break-fix
- One hour SLA Severity 1
- Managed installation and upgrade processes
- Architecture and operational guidance and help establishing best practices that work for your team
- Additional Gloo Mesh Gateway extension is available for API gateway to control north-south traffic into and out of your multicluster environment
- Additional Web Assembly (WASM) extension is available for compiling your application code with nearly native performance in a web environment