Gloo Gateway comes with several observability tools that help you monitor the health of Gloo Gateway components and Istio workloads.
|Component to monitor
|Gloo Gateway health
- Gloo UI: View the configuration and status of Gloo custom resources, such as route tables, virtual gateways, or policies. You can also view the health of the clusters that are registered with the Gloo management server. To monitor the health of your Gloo Gateway components, such as the Gloo management server or Gloo telemetry collector agent, use the Gloo UI log viewer to view, filter, search, or download logs for these components.
- Prometheus: Use the Prometheus expression browser to run PromQL queries to analyze and aggregate Gloo Gateway metrics. To view metrics that are collected by default, see Gloo management server metrics. To view the alerts that are automatically set up for you, see Alerts.
- Operations dashboard: Quickly see critical metrics and alerts for Gloo Gateway components and processes, such as connected workload clusters, Gloo resources that could not be translated, the translation and reconciliation time, or the resource consumption of the Gloo management server and agent pods.
- Gloo UI: View your gateway setup, such as configured listeners, applied Gloo policies, and route tables that your gateway uses. To monitor the traffic to your gateway, you can access the Gloo UI Graph.
- Prometheus: The Gloo telemetry pipeline collects Istio metrics from the ingress gateway proxy and exposes those metrics so that the built-in Prometheus server can scrape them. To view the metrics that are collected by default, see Istio proxy metrics. You can access these metrics by running PromQL queries in the Prometheus expression browser. To find example queries that you can run, see Ingress gateway queries.
- Jaeger: You can enable request tracing for the ingress gateway and add these traces to the Gloo telemetry pipeline so that they can be forwarded to the built-in or a custom Jaeger instance. For more information about how to set up tracing, and how to enable Jaeger, see Add Istio request traces.
- Istio access logs: Leverage the default Envoy access log collector to record logs for the apps that send requests to the Istio ingress gateway. You can review these logs to troubleshoot issues as-needed, or scrape these logs to view them in your larger platform logging system.
- Prometheus: Use the Prometheus expression browser to run PromQL queries to analyze and aggregate metrics for your OPA engine. To view metrics that are collected by default, see Gloo management server metrics.
- OPA dashboard: You can import the pre-built OPA dashboard into your Grafana instance to visualize and monitor metrics for your OPA engine, such as the average CPU and memory consumption, request duration and size, status of OPA bundles, and more.
|Developer portal and API products
- Gloo UI: View developer portals and the API products that you configured by using the Gloo UI.
- Portal analytics dashboard: View API product usage and the number of users that access your developer portal by enabling Istio access logs for the ingress gateway and configuring your Grafana instance to read and visualize these logs in the Portal analytics dashboard.